As a stewardship organization for Barnstable Harbor, we feel that education is an integral component of ensuring that future generations gain knowledge and interest in maintaining a healthy coastal ecosystem and environment, as well as develop a historical perspective with regard to our maritime heritage.
Many children growing up on Cape Cod miss the opportunity to experience the coastal world that is the fundamental difference between seaside and inland communities. With this in mind, we have crafted yep!, a program for students to engage in an “outdoor classroom” experience with Barnstable Harbor Ecotours.
Click Below to read the full yep! proposal
Youth Education Project:
- Students will go on outdoor classroom “field trips” with Barnstable Harbor Ecotours.
- The trips will be two hours long and include information on the history of Barnstable Harbor & Sandy Neck, the Great Marsh, Shellfish Farming and overall Ecology of the harbor. Students will have a hands-on opportunity to see and identify specific various species of shore and sea birds, shellfish, sand flats and marshes.
- Essential Knowledge Outcome (EKO) – Students investigate and explain living systems through the examination of the complexity, diversity, and interconnections of life on earth
- Trips will subscribe to the Massachusetts STEM Science and Technology/ Engineering Framework standards.
- A pre-trip hand out introducing the trip, scientific concepts and other information will be provided as a teaching aid.
Please help to fund our Youth Education Project